[Bf-committers] Migration to git and upgrade projects website

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 01:15:12 CEST 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 9:27 AM, Alex Fraser <alex at phatcore.com> wrote:
> On 16 October 2013 06:26, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> At the moment we're looking to only convert branches that have been
>> merged into trunk (so trunk has valid history).
>>
>> Other branches wont be lost and the subversion repository wont be
>> deleted, but there are so many branches which were never merged it
>> adds a lot of overhead to making a full checkout - (a git clone would
>> download every GSOC branch that was ever made for example).
>
> That might not be an issue - git is pretty efficient. It would be
> interesting to know how big that overhead would be.
>
> Alex

IIRC it cut down the final repo size ~200mb (after aggressive GC on
both tests), some branches contain full checkouts of other projects
too - eg,
assimp, swig are in branches + docs & example files in some cases too.

We can cleanup this in some cases (like removing html docs+images from
history) but it gives us more work to do too.

--
- Campbell