[Bf-committers] Migration to git and upgrade projects website

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 21:26:22 CEST 2013

At the moment we're looking to only convert branches that have been
merged into trunk (so trunk has valid history).

Other branches wont be lost and the subversion repository wont be
deleted, but there are so many branches which were never merged it
adds a lot of overhead to making a full checkout - (a git clone would
download every GSOC branch that was ever made for example).

See details here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Proposals/MigrationToGit

We could do a git conversion that includes all branches (for
posterity), but not work from it. - but in that case not sure theres
much advantage - can also just use the existing SVN repo.

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 9:56 PM, Luke Frisken <l.frisken at gmail.com> wrote:
> Will the branches be moved to git too?
>
> Luke
>

> On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 9:24 PM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I had a meeting here with Sergey and Brecht and they proposed to allocate
>> 2-3 weeks for them to do the svn-git migration and install a new tracker
>> and review system on our projects site.
>>
>> Such a migration of course would keep all code and tracker history.
>> Projects site functionality should be at same level as before or better
>> even. We're looking into Phabricator for this.
>>
>> The idea is to do most of the work in the "bcon1" period (until november 3
>> or some days later).
>>
>> Feasibility is being checked on now, a migration plannning should be
>> proposed here before or on sunday. I've already checked with many people
>> who commit frequently and either they'd love to move to git, or they won't
>> object to move away from svn. I hope this will prove to be a smooth
>> transition :)
>>
>> More news following soon. The git fans can (carefully) start cheering
>> already though ;)
>>
>> -Ton-

> --
> >From Luke