[Bf-committers] Migration to git and upgrade projects website

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Tue Oct 15 16:24:00 CEST 2013

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by private git hosting, but we intend to
host the git repository ourselves, same as we do for svn now. We
generally want to host our own code and trackers, and not depend on
other companies for this.

On the practical side, Github has the advantage that it is easier for
developers to fork the repository and submit pull requests, the
barrier to entry would be somewhat lower. The big problem is that we
can't customize it, if we run into a problem there is no way for us to
solve it. For example, there is no way to customize the bug reporting
page with instructions, upload .blend files, add custom fields, move
reports to a different tracker or remove confidential data that was
accidentally posted.

With Phabricator you can optionally login with a Github, Google or
Facebook account, so that maybe makes the barrier a bit lower already.
Forking and sending a pull request from e.g. a private git repository
on Github will be quite quick with the "arc" command line tool that
comes with Phabricator, but I'd like to check if we can make it easy
without that too.

Brecht.