[Bf-committers] File -> Open ... "open as startup file" and a bit more ...

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Thu Nov 28 12:12:43 CET 2013

Hi Gaia,

You can script this for own versions or add-ons, but this is not something to bother releases with.

Further in general: this is the typical "Bad UI" design case - option choices in UIs should be avoided at all costs. Especially when the options are just ways to solve weak design decisions.

The "Load file" or "Load startup" could be just two things, separated.

If we allow multiple startups, this then should work within that context too. So, either by setting the desired startup somehow in the startup sequence (as commandline), or by giving the python scripter an operator called "Load custom startup" with an api that either opens a file selector, or loads the file from argument.

That operator should be kept hidden from the standard UI we release with.

-Ton-

Chairman Blender Foundation - Producer Blender Institute