[Bf-committers] File -> Open ... "open as startup file" and a bit more ...

Howard Trickey howard.trickey at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 19:22:47 CET 2013

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Brecht Van Lommel <
brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 5:02 PM, Gaia <gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org>
> wrote:
> > On 27.11.2013 15:55, Brecht Van Lommel wrote:

> >> If it's to avoid users accidentally saving over this .blend file, then
> >> I'm not sure it's very effective. It seems likely users will forget to
> >> check this option if they also forget to not save over this file. Or
> >> they open .blend files by double click in a file browser outside of
> >> Blender, and this option is never presented to them.
> >
> > Indeed we only need this option to be available from Python.
> > Something like this would be ideal:
> >
> >    layout.operator("wm.open_mainfile", text=name, save=False)
>
> This seems reasonable. Just make the property hidden from users with
> PROP_HIDDEN, and find a good name, maybe something like
> "open_as_new_file".

> > Here is our use case for this:
> >
> > Sometimes i want to ensure that a user gets basically the same settings
> > as we have used within a tutorial. But instead of describing every time
> > what specific settings we used in a particular video, i would like to
> just
> > publish the tutorial_setup.blend file.
> >
> > Of course we try to keep with the factory settings or at least close to
> > them. But sometimes it is helpful when we can deliver a "Demo" setup.
>
> It seems not unreasonable to have such an option for file saving, it
> would be useful for bug reports too. If the file contains user
> preferences it could show an option to ignore them on load, but it
> shouldn't show if the file does not contain them.
>
> However, I'm not quite sure if in general it's a good idea to do this
> for tutorials. At least I as a user would not like it if tutorial
> files would override my user preferences. Is this a practical problem
> that people making tutorials are running into, users having different
> preferences than used in the tutorial and not realising it?

Another option for tutorials would be for the Python code to create the
desired demo environment programmatically, from scratch, on explicit
command from the user.
Admittedly more work (and sometimes impossible, if the appropriate
Python hooks aren't there for something that needs to be set).