[Bf-committers] File -> Open ... "open as startup file" and a bit more ...

Gaia gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Wed Nov 27 13:50:41 CET 2013

Hi;

I propose to add 3 checkboxes to the File Open/Save panels,
see below. I also offer to implement it if nobody else has
the time for doing this, it should be mostly easy to do.
This is my order of preference:

1.) Add a checkbox to the File -> Open panel:

     [ ] open as startup file

When this box is checked, then the file opens without
its file name memorized.Then an attemptto do a

     File -> Save

will not overwrite the file but ask for a new store location.
Note: This checkmark will need to be accessible from python
as wellso that we can script "open file as startup file"

If we would get this checkmark and nothing else i would
already be very happy.

btw: at least on windows we can not simply make the
blend file readonly. This would ensure the file content
keeps untouchable but ... well, try it out yourself what
happens, certainly this was not my expectation. But well...

2.) Add a checkbox to the File -> Open panel:

     [ ] include preference settings

When this box is checked, then any preference settings
which are possibly stored in the.blend file will be
loaded as well.

Note: This checkmark will need to be accessible from python
as wellso that we can script "open file with preferences"

I am not sure if this checkmark is really needed. Actually
we could live with: "if user preferences are in the
blend file, then import them unconditionally" but somehow
i prefer to give the user the option to choose.

3.) Add a checkbox to the File -> Save as... panel:

     [ ] include preferences

This checkmark will allow us (creators/tutors/users)
to createstartup blend files without need to go over this loop:

- save current startup file
- store as default
- move new startup file to other location
- restore old startup file

cheers,
Gaia