[Bf-committers] Helper git hooks

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 18:46:29 CET 2013

Well, it's not just arc. It's also bugs in git which lead to such an
issues. With current arc from git it should no longer happen. But there're
still loads of ways to screw up things even without arc.

For now i think it's fine to have liberal script which says "hey, you're
about to do something which is not considered safe and you need to be 100%
sure you want to do this" to avoid accidents. And don't force everyone to
use it.

Maybe if it'll become really an issue we make it more strict in the future,
but atm don't think we really need them. Changed hash is not so bad, it's
only bad when you change hash to a local submodule commit which is not in
the repo. Perhaps for this we indeed need some server-side hooks which will
reject any change which tries to screw up the repo.

And i'm not so much fussed if submodule hash changes if it doesn't break
repo consistency.

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:28 PM, Julien RIVAUD (_FrnchFrgg_) <
frnchfrgg at free.fr> wrote:

> Le 26/11/2013 17:59, Sergey Sharybin a écrit :
> > Crap could happen after the review when using `arc land` to push
> > reviewed patch.
>
> Arcanist would be a braindead tool then; pushing commits should never
> ever change them ! Of course, people could always do a commit --amend
> before pushing, or even put the Acked-By by hand even if they didn't
> really get proper review, but... I also think that the flag should be a
> new ad-hoc flag, as Merge-Acked-By or Submodule-Acked-By, to avoid
> normally reviewed patches to include mistakes; it is so easy to have a
> patch reviewed with "Review+ if you change this" and the submitter to do
> the change, include the Reviewed-By: header and push (with agreement of
> the reviewer) but then with a mistake that was never seen.
>
> Anyway, I am just outlining what is possible in the unlikely case you
> didn't think of such possibilities; Blender will chose its workflows and
> policies and I'm nobody to force some upon you.
>
> _FrnchFrgg_

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin