[Bf-committers] Helper git hooks

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 15:30:09 CET 2013

Hi,

Answers are inlined.

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Julien RIVAUD (_FrnchFrgg_) <
frnchfrgg at free.fr> wrote:

> Le 26/11/2013 09:01, Sergey Sharybin a écrit :
> > Hey everyone,
> >
> > We're still encountering unwanted changes to the submoduels even so i
> > published information about how to avoid this :(
> >
> > For those who're on linux (OSX might work as well tho) here're hooks
> > which would help avoid submodules change accidents [1]
> Why wouldn't you enforce such things on the server side ?

Because it still might be useful to commit  changes to submodule hash. i.e.
when tagging release.

Maybe with a system that let commits pass through if they are
> Signed-Of-By any of {Brecht, Campbell, Sergey, Ton} ? (Same for merge
> commits and almost any other enforced rule)

Wouldn't work. Because it was Campbell's commits which used to break the
whole repository because he had un-pushed local commit to addons and was
kept doing `git commit .` from the repository root.

So basically i wouldn't trust this Signed-Of-By because accidents happens.

> Of course, having developper-side hooks helps because it is less than
> ideal to notice you goofed at push time instead of commit time...
> > - pre-commit will prevent commit if you've got staged changes to
> submodules
> > - prepare-commit-msg will put information about changed submodules to
> > a commit message template.
> That last one is temporary I think, git devs want to make git display
> that information by default and consider current behaviour is a bug, IIUC.

Yes, totally temporary. I'm in contact with git devs and they really wants
this to be fixed.

I was just totally annoyed today because like every single night repo
became broke and buildbot failed to pull the changes and everyone who tried
to clone the repo had issues as well.

For until every developer uses fixed version of git, i would rather use
some sanity-check hooks to help preventing accidents.

--
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin