[Bf-committers] blendercasts reloaded...

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sat Nov 23 17:11:59 CET 2013

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 4:44 PM, Gaia <gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org> wrote:
> On 23.11.2013 15:30, Brecht Van Lommel wrote:
>> For me the reasons not to do this are:
>>
>> * It shifts work from tutorial makers to developers, and it's the
>> developers that are already the bottleneck at the moment, we have many
>> people making tutorials. So developer time seems a more rare resource
>> at the moment.
> I am not sure why this would shift work from tutorial makers to developers.
> Or do you mean "creating this tool would need developer resources" ?
> Otherwise why would tutorial makers not use such a tool ? Its not so
> different
> to use compared to creating screen casts ...

I think you would want to implement this feature to make it easier for
people to make tutorials or to help them make better tutorials? So
basically that means you will have developers spending time helping
out by implementing this feature (which is really complex), and it
seems like those resources would be best spent elsewhere.

>> * I have never seen such a system done well in other applications, the
>> few times I've come across it, it's always been pretty frustrating.
> What made these tools frustrating ? Is this a bad concept or did you
> only step
> into tools which had it badly implemented ?
>> I'm not sure why, maybe it's just a coincidence and there are
>> applications (of Blender's complexity) out there that do this very
>> well.
> This actually keeps me on track :) Actually this is a good argument for
> continue thinking about how it could be done better :)

My guess is that it is a bad concept because it's a fragile high tech
solution to a problem that already has a proven low tech solution
(video tutorials), where the tutorial creator has more control by
being able to take their recorded video into a video editor to cut and
enhance it, without working within the inevitable limitations of a
solution like blendercast.

Brecht.