[Bf-committers] How Merge master changes into remote branch

Wander Lairson Costa wander.lairson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 21:12:00 CET 2013

2013/11/20 Brecht Van Lommel <brechtvanlommel at pandora.be>:
> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 2:28 AM, Daniel Tavares
> <danielmtavares at gmail.com> wrote:
>> git merge master
>
> This answer is indeed nearly all you need to do, but let me expand on
> it a bit. When you do "git clone" you are in fact getting all branches
> (that's intentional). So with this clone you have you can switch
> between branches quickly with:
>
> git checkout master
> git checkout soc-2013-sketch_mesh
>
> To merge master into your branch you would just do this in your
> soc-2013-sketch_mesh branch:
>
> git merge master
>
> Next you might need to resolve conflicts, it should guide you through
> solving those if they happen. When the merge is done and you've tested
> it still builds and works fine, you can push your branch with:
>
> git push origin soc-2013-sketch_mesh
>
> You will need to set up commit access for that, see the docs here:
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Doc/Tools/Git#Commit_Access
>
>> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Alexander Pinzon Fernandez <
>> apinzonf at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I am new user in GIT.
>>>
>>> I read a couple of documents about GIT.
>>>
>>> But i don't achieve merge:
>>>
>>> I am working in branch soc-2013-sketch_mesh
>>> in svn this worked for me
>>>
>>> svn merge -r 60786:60972
>>> https://svn.blender.org/svnroot/bf-blender/trunk/blender/
>>> and i commit merge changes with this command:
>>> svn commit -m "some text"
>>>

>>> How i can do merge master changes into soc-2013-sketch_mesh branch, with
>>> git???
>>>
>>> i only can clone the branch with command at the moment
>>> git clone -b soc-2013-sketch_mesh http://git.blender.org/blender.git
>>>
>>> In advance thank you very much for your help

When I am working in a branch that I am the only one pushing to it, I
rather prefer git rebase. In company, people are used to update their
private branches with merge, the outcome is that the git history is a
mess. For git pull the same thing, I always use git pull --rebase.

The down side of rebase is that it rewrites the git history, which may
make the life of other people working on that branch harder.

--
Best Regards,
Wander Lairson Costa