[Bf-committers] helping with UI module team

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Mon Nov 18 21:30:02 CET 2013

Hi,

Basically you can jump in and reply to design tasks or bugs that you
find interesting. Design tasks are being continuously worked out and
you can jump in there and work out a proposal more, unless someone is
already on it. Jonathan and William created a bunch of tasks but for
most of them haven't actually assigned themselves to work on things,
so the tasks are free for others to pick up and work out.

I'll try to provide some information about what it would take to
implement each of the design tasks when it's clear what needs to be
done, but that's not yet the case for most tasks. These things could
potentially be done by new developers:

* Add multiline tooltip support (even though the final tooltip layout
can still be discussed this is clearly a good thing to add):
http://developer.blender.org/T37478
* Make some UI shortcut keys configureable:
http://developer.blender.org/T37520
* Making the 3D view background gradient follow world space (not too
hard if you know OpenGL, otherwise would skip):
http://developer.blender.org/T37419

(The Blender UI code can be a bit scary so for sure ask us for more
code details if things are not obvious).

Then there's a few things where particular decisions need to be made
still but some code could help get things going:

>From searching the C code, generate a list of dubious confirmation
popups that could be removed:
http://developer.blender.org/T37421
Write some python script to generate a list of poor tooltips that we
can work through (perhaps they can be listed on a wiki page):
http://developer.blender.org/T37429
Online Documentation operator is in python so fairly easy to get
started with, but needs some good workflow design how to link up wiki
docs with blender code and how that is maintained:
http://developer.blender.org/T37479

Thanks,
Brecht.