[Bf-committers] HOWTO transplant development branches coming from git-svn to git.blender.org

Julien RIVAUD (_FrnchFrgg_) frnchfrgg at free.fr
Sun Nov 17 21:42:56 CET 2013

Le 17/11/2013 21:28, Mitchell Stokes a écrit :
> * Make the blender folder the root of the repot with: git filter-branch
> --subdirectory-filter blender/ -- --all
I tested and in fact doing the following is (much) faster:
git fast-export > ../orig.fi
reposurgeon "read orig.fi; paths sup; write dest.fi"
git fast-import --force < ../dest.fi
>   * I then had a merge conflict with every revision due to the scons folder
> now being a module (this could probably be fixed with another git
> filter-branch)
And you could use the "expunge" command of reposurgeon to remove the
scons folder while you're at it...
>   * I just used git mergetool, chose local, and did git rebase --continue (I
> only had 15 revisions, so this didn't take too long)
Of course, I should have made clear that my options is overkill for only
15 commits. It was designed for a 400+ commits branch, with 20+ merges
from master. But since somebody had the use-case and asked me for a
wrap-up of what I did, I figured I could document the method and
advertise it in case it saves someone's life.
> This only handles one branch at a time, but that also means I can pull them
> over as needed. I'm not very knowledgeable with git, and there could be an
> easier way, but this seems to be a little simpler for smaller branches.
That's not that bad of a method; I'd recommend it or a variation of it
for small branches.

Cheers,

Julien RIVAUD (_FrnchFrgg_)