[Bf-committers] developer.blender.org

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Sat Nov 16 14:02:30 CET 2013

Hi Gaia,

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Gaia <gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org> wrote:
> On 15.11.2013 17:34, Brecht Van Lommel wrote:
> What confused me: The site is *developer.blender.org*,
> So i expected to see the list of blender developers.
> Furthermore i overlooked the "next" button at the
> bottom left corner of the screen.
>
> - Could we get 3 queries in the People section for:
>
>     - "All"
>     - "Developers" (maybe as the Default query?)
>     - "Module Owners"
>
> - Can the number of users per page be made customizable ?
>    With a preset such that the next button appears without scrolling ?
>    like 25 users per page maybe ?

I see these as useful but we have no concept of overall user roles,
and adding customization for the number of users per page is really
out of scope of what we want to do here. I understand the UI of this
site is important but we can only do so much, this is not a part of
the website that I expect will be used often, it's there for
completeness but people generally will not want to browse the list of
6000 accounts, just like you probably never looked at the list of all
users accounts on projects.blender.org.

> What about:
>
> -  change "... More Projects" to "more Projects ..." or "more ..."
> -  use the same font size as the other entries but with boldface
>     letters
> -  Place the "more ..." link either aligned to the left column
>     or to the right column (or into the title bar,see below)
>
> After trying a bit ... what about this ? (working with boldface):
>
> ---------------+------------------+---------------------------------**
> *BF Blender   |   Addons         |   Top 10 Subprojects (more ...)
> *---------------+------------------+---------------------------------
> *Report Bug*     | *Report Bug*| Animation Motion tracking
> Browse Bugs    | Browse Bugs| Cycles Sculpt & Paint
> Browse Patches | Browse Addons | Compositing Translations
> *Submit Patch*   | *Submit new Addon*| Game Engine     User interface
>                 | | Mesh Modelling Websites
> **---------------+------------------+---------------------------------
> ***
> *note: the "top 10 Subprojects" title would not be a link,
>        only the part labelled "more ..."
> note: "Sculpt & Paint" is just a shortcut i used
>        to keep the line length below 72.

I chose the capitalization, placement, etc consciously and I'm quite
happy with it. If it's unclear or poor UI in some way, or needs
information that can't be easily found, I don't mind spending time to
change it and make it easier for new users, but this seems like it's
more a matter of personal preference.

> one more: Documentation, Buildbot, Feed are external links
>
> Could these links be marked as leaving the site ? And/Or maybe
> they could open a new page in another tab instead of leaving
> developer.blender.org ?

Only Documentation links to another site. I'll see if I can add some
indicator for that or open it on another page. Ideally I want to have
it all on one site but integrating mediawiki into of course would be
very complicated.

Brecht.