[Bf-committers] developer.blender.org open!

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Thu Nov 14 18:31:13 CET 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 6:04 PM, Erwin Coumans <erwin.coumans at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just some honest feedback:
>
> I find it a very confusing page, all about Phabricator and not about
> Blender,
> why all the references to Phabricator? I don't care you are using
> Phabricator,
> but I do care about Blender.

I could only find mention of Phabricator on the website itself, which
is the Phabricator repository. That will be moved below the Blender
repositories when we have them all online. Is there something I'm
missing? We are mentioning it in mails now to make it clear what we
talk about, but once it's all running it shouldn't really matter.

> On the left bar, there is "Differential", "Maniphest", "Diffusion",
> "Audit", "Feed",
> weird names that require the user to read the explanation underneath to
> understand what it is about.

The names of the tools can be considered confusing, this is the
reasoning behind it:
http://www.quora.com/Phabricator/Why-is-the-Browse-feature-called-Diffusion-and-not-just-Browse

We could change it, but in my opinion it's fine the way it is.
"Differential", "Maniphest", "Diffusion" are the strangest I guess,
but the descriptions below them are clear. Audit and Feed pretty
literally describe what they are?

> And once you click on "Repository Browser", the first link points to the
> Phabricator source tree.
> I expect to find a direct link to the Blender BF main repo on the front
> page on the left,
> with instructions how to clone it in git. Instead, there is a lot of
> nonsense and clutter (in my opinion).
>
> I couldn't find a link to the main git Blender repo, only to addons and
> translations, but I am not interested in those.
> If I click in the middle of the page on BF Blender, and then "Blender
> Repository", it ends up telling me "No such repository 'B'".

Not sure which nonsense or clutter you refer to, besides the Blender
repository not being listed first? For me the things that are on the
homepage are the things I use most as a developer, and for users there
are links in the center for the typical things that they want to do.

Brecht.