[Bf-committers] Bevel

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Tue May 28 07:40:56 CEST 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 12:40 AM, Howard Trickey
<howard.trickey at gmail.com> wrote:
> The pre-2.65 bevel had a confusing mixture of options, and most users
> complained that they couldn't get even-looking bevels when beveling
> multiple edges. Bevel was completely rewritten in a way that made even
> bevels much more likely.

Thanks for the work. I must say that this problem really hexed my
building of kitchen cabinets last year.

>This was documented in the 2.65 release notes:
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.65/Mesh_Modeling

Not saying this is your job but it needs to make it into the manual or
at least show up when you google Blender Bevel. As you can see by the
comments on the tut, all the users were really mixed up by this
change. Not a good thing. I do understand your logic for changing it.
I have had the opposite problem before. I think all this just needs to
be well explained in the manual and we would get much less complaining
on either side.

> I removed the percentage option for specifying bevel amounts because that
> seemed a guarantee to get uneven bevels, usually.  I see from your cited
> tutorial that there are times when artists want uneven bevels, so I don't
> mind bringing back this option.

Great. Let me know when it is done and I will help fix up the manual
to make all these option clear and hopefully keep the users happy with
it all!

> I have a stack of knife and bevel bugs backed up right now, so it might be
> a while before I get to this.

I hate waiting :-)
I want to make cool spaceships now!
--