[Bf-committers] How to build official binaries for Blender

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Mon May 27 23:47:24 CEST 2013

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 11:25 PM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Jürgen Herrmann <shadowrom at me.com> wrote:
>> I am just trying to help because i really like blender.
>> As for optimization, this would be a subject for a deep inspection of blenders code base. I think every compiler hat it pros and cons. In the end they all do the same.
>> MinGW/GCC is faster than msvc with floating point operations.
>> Therefore MSVC is faster on integer ops.
>
> Not sure why MSVC would be faster at integer ops because its slower at
> floats? is there any performance tests showing this?

There's no reason to think that would be the case, there's no tradeoff
to make between integer and float performance on the same processor.

> IIRC - Brecht said it wasn't floating point operations being faster on
> MinGW, it was GCC's library of floating point math functions (assume
> sin/cos/sqrt/pow... etc).
> Though he also said this needing further investigation.
>
> If this is really the case it may be possible to replace MSVC's math
> functions though Im not sure if this would give hard-to-fix linking
> issues if dependencies are still using MSVC's math functions.

I don't know the cause of the performance difference, some else
suggested it's the floating point math functions but I don't know if
that's the case. I'll make some time to do performance profiling on
Windows, no point speculating about this when we no one has even run a
basic profiler and checked if any unexpected slow functions show up.

Brecht.