[Bf-committers] How to build official binaries for Blender

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon May 27 23:25:21 CEST 2013

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Jürgen Herrmann <shadowrom at me.com> wrote:
> Hi yousef,
>
> I am just trying to help because i really like blender.
> As for optimization, this would be a subject for a deep inspection of blenders code base. I think every compiler hat it pros and cons. In the end they all do the same.
> MinGW/GCC is faster than msvc with floating point operations.
> Therefore MSVC is faster on integer ops.

Not sure why MSVC would be faster at integer ops because its slower at
floats? is there any performance tests showing this?

IIRC - Brecht said it wasn't floating point operations being faster on
MinGW, it was GCC's library of floating point math functions (assume
sin/cos/sqrt/pow... etc).
Though he also said this needing further investigation.

If this is really the case it may be possible to replace MSVC's math
functions though Im not sure if this would give hard-to-fix linking
issues if dependencies are still using MSVC's math functions.