[Bf-committers] How to build official binaries for Blender

Jürgen Herrmann shadowrom at me.com
Mon May 27 22:54:32 CEST 2013

Hi yousef,

I am just trying to help because i really like blender.
As for optimization, this would be a subject for a deep inspection of blenders code base. I think every compiler hat it pros and cons. In the end they all do the same.
MinGW/GCC is faster than msvc with floating point operations.
Therefore MSVC is faster on integer ops.
The ms compilers have much better support for the win api, that's why we have problems with OpenMP and mingw.
I would love to give Intels compiler a try with blender, but it's so expensive :(
In the end it is all philosophy.

As you said the IDE is top notch and the debugger is great.
VC 2012 express even has a code analysis feature that seems to be quite good.

/Jürgen