[Bf-committers] How to build official binaries for Blender

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Mon May 27 20:16:52 CEST 2013

Hi,
For Blender 2.68, I'd like to stick with vc2008. vc2012 builds can be
provided as well, and also advertised on the dl page but marked as
experimental.
This way we can get good feedback first.

For the official build, yes it's the default scons config.
I set those 2 things inside my user-config.py though, to enable CUDA and
point to the correct toolkit:

WITH_BF_CYCLES_CUDA_BINARIES = 1
BF_CYCLES_CUDA_NVCC = "C:/Program Files/NVIDIA GPU Computing
Toolkit/CUDA/v4.2/bin/nvcc.exe"

For the Installer you need the NSIS installer, as Brecht said + the
MoreInfo plugin: http://nsis.sourceforge.net/MoreInfo_plug-in

We also bundle the vc runtime files with our binaries (msvcr90.dll
etc...), for people who do not have the Visual C++ runtime installed.

Best regards,
Thomas

Am 27.05.2013 20:02, schrieb Brecht Van Lommel:
> On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 5:56 PM, Jürgen Herrmann <shadowrom at me.com> wrote:
>> I got cuda 5.0 to work with VS 2012 today.
>>
>> I would like to provide official builds for 2.68.
>>
>> What do I have to do then?
> At the moment not much, maybe it would be good to have this officially
> confirmed but I guess the Window maintainer (Thomas) is ok with it.
> When we get near the end of the 2.68 release cycles there will be a
> test build that will be announced on the mailing list here, and then
> you can make the build and uploaded it somewhere, and then someone
> will copy it to download.blender.org/release/Blender2.68
>
>> Is there any special build config I have to do?
> The buildbot builds are the default scons configuration + CUDA
> binaries, not sure if there are any other options enabled or if
> redistributable files need to be copied somewhere. Thomas does the
> official builds so he would know about this.
>
>> How do I provide an installer?
> Install the NSIS Installer software, and then run "python
> scons/scons.py nsis" to create the installer.
>
> Brecht.

Thomas Dinges
Blender Developer, Artist and Musician

www.dingto.org