[Bf-committers] Restoring 2.49 Feature: Groups in Add menu

W. Nelson indigitalspace at yahoo.com
Mon May 27 16:12:54 CEST 2013

Yes, Add>Group is in addition to the "Add>Group Instance" item at the bottom of the Add menu and is intended to help manage linked libraries from the Add menu as seen in the reference video.  So currently the new Add>Group menu item brings up the same Group Instance menu code in addition to a library custom group place holder.

Ideally as discussed with others, the library custom groups from this menu can be organized and nested in composition workflow groups so to say and as in the reference video.  These are different groups than actual ctrl-g grouping.  These groups, or the presentation of these custom organized groups can therefore be added very quickly while in a scene composition workflow.  This is distinctly different than grouping for modeling purposes therefor different in usage than
 the Group Instance menu item.

Yes again, I am looking at the Outliner and how an addon for that would work with the Add menu.  Other work is being done on the Outliner so I figured a streamlined Add menu modification with a simple panel to manage the custom nesting would be a good start and then eventually working it to play nice with the other goals for the Outliner.

This workflow is especially useful in scenes with lots of repetitive object group composition work or large scale scenes such as a landscape or a city greeble.  This type of workflow is frequently in production studio type settings.

Thanks for the excellent input,
JTa