[Bf-committers] Blender developer weekly meeting notes - May 26, 2013; Leap Motion

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sun May 26 22:22:26 CEST 2013

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 8:47 PM, Jakub Żółcik <j.zolcik at allblue.pl> wrote:
> Haven't even got shipping tracking link to mine yet :(
>
> As I was expecting Leap Motion won't do any good for modeling I got a
> little bit different idea. When I will get mine I will try to develop
> set of gestures that will allow replacing keyboard when using blender
> and enable view control. I think it will be especially efficient with
> pie menus. What do you think?
>
> Jakub Zolcik

Not at all sure yet. I think we need to get used to it first. I was
thinking it might be cool to use it to do a sort of sock puppet
animation and record that. Then layer a bunch of recordings to make a
firm. Might be able to bind each limb or whatever to a finger.

Pluses are that you can scale the movement of the fingers and it can
tell hand orientation as well. You get number of fingers, positions
and pointing vectors of each finger. I could see it being used to
sculpt but not really sure yet. I am also not sure what it would be
like to have my hands in the air all day and not on the mouse of Wacom
pad.

Another problem, is getting it to run on my Sabayon system. They have
it working fine on my Kubuntu system.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!