[Bf-committers] Matcaps and PBVH

Erik Sejersen ehsejersen at gmail.com
Sat May 25 20:42:20 CEST 2013

I've tried printing out the shader when it's compiled and there doesn't
seem to be any difference.

It does seem like a bug because the gl_Color in the fragment shader depends
on what varnormal is assigned in the vertex shader. I've tried setting
varnomal to different colors and doing result = gl_Color and gl_Color
always containts what varnormal was assigned.

Anywho I've removed gl_Color and started using the attribute system. Smooth
shading isn't working for multires because of the use of indexed buffers.
Multires should still have the option to flat shade so a option would be to
add another checkbox for 'Fast Drawing' where smooth shading is forced if
multires is used. Another would be to modify the drawing code to not use
indexed buffers but that is a rather large undertaking or am I
overestimating the task? Unfortunately OpenGL does not have flat shading
support with index buffers in GLSL before OpenGL 3.1 where the flat keyword
was introduced.

There are still some minor issues to address but it looks like it almost
ready.

-Erik
The fact that it doesn't work with flat shading is not a bug, the
vertex normals add another attribute and you're probably not getting
the right attribute id anymore in that case.

The way this should be implemented is not through gl_Color, but the
same as as other data layers passed to GLSL shaders. They call
GPU_attribute(..) to pass same data layer as an attribute to the GLSL
shader. This will then cause GPUVertexAttribs to contain the data
layer, which is used by DM_vertex_attributes_from_gpu to find the
corresponding data layers in the mesh for drawing.

The mask is stored as a data layer CD_PAINT_MASK, so as far as I can
tell it should be possible to get this working.