[Bf-committers] Windows XP and the future of Blender

Jürgen Herrmann shadowrom at me.com
Sun May 19 12:48:00 CEST 2013

Hi Ton,

Good to know! So Win 7 is the platform that most users seem to use and main focus should be to stay compatible with that. Win 8 and XP users are still more than all Linux users combined. So we'll have to support all these platforms for now.
I'll recompile the VS2012 libs for x64 and x86 with the v110_xp toolset when I am back home to support all Win platforms.
We can still change that later, when win XP users get rare ;-)
I still think we should drop the VS2008 build system when everything works fine with VC2012.
This enables us to clean up some vs2008 specific code, because vc11 supports the c++ standards much better than vc9.
And we don't have to maintain 4 versions of precompiled libs, just two.

Best regards,

Jürgen