[Bf-committers] Job stoppers! Need a decision urgent :(

Jürgen Herrmann shadowrom at me.com
Tue May 14 23:52:48 CEST 2013

Hi Brecht, Hi Thomas,

according to CUDA-Dev team a CUDA 5.5 RC will be published this Month, but it's only a RC so it may have bugs ...
I had a look into the sources of Jack and I'll try to get that issue fixed. It seems to be a callback problem like the Win32 API crashes I had with Ghost before.
Taking out this issue will take some time, as I'll try to fix this with proper and supply patches for the jack devs.

OpenAL is another problem, it seems that OpenAL soft has a problem with 3D sound if sound samples are 44.1khz encoded while the Windows Soundsystem uses 48khz. I guess that oal_wrap.dll is the one that forces the Soundsystem into 44.1khz mode.
So we'll have to code a replacement for oal_wrap that does this for us.
I'll look into that too but I don't know how long this will take. My knowledge of the windows APIs is ok I guess, but mmsystem is new to me.

With all these little obstacles I think 2.7 is a good goal for us to switch to VC2012 for releases.
Another problem is windows xp support with binaries built with vc11. MS provides the vc110_xp target with update 1 but some features don't work with these libs as they are only WinSDK 7.1 headers with modifications.
Best bet would be to build blender 32bit with XP support and the 64 bit build without.
Or drop XP support completely. (My favorite :-D) But there are still users with old XP machines...

/Jürgen