[Bf-committers] select loop behavior

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon May 13 10:25:03 CEST 2013

On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Yousef Hurfoush <bat3a at msn.com> wrote:
> thanks,.
>
> Regards
> Yousef Harfoush
> bat3a at msn.com
>

>> Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 17:44:57 +1000
>> From: ideasman42 at gmail.com
>> To: bf-committers at blender.org
>> Subject: Re: [Bf-committers] select loop behavior
>>
>> On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 5:21 AM, Yousef Hurfoush <bat3a at msn.com> wrote:
>> > hi
>> >
>> > recently if you select a loop at the end of mesh that doesn't have perpendicular edges it select the whole face, see the attached image:
>> > http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=51119
>> >
>> > is this a bug or change of behavior?
>> >
>> > thanks
>> >
>> > Regards
>> > Yousef Harfoush
>> > bat3a at msn.com
>>
>> Quite sure it's a bug, Ill check this week.

On second inspection, This isn't a bug - See this image:

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=51211

The way select loop works is that it detects edges of a face that have
nothing connected, and treats this as a loop, then stops when other
edge/faces are reached.

Selecting the face and other edge are result of selection flushing and
can't really be avoided.

So we could have a special check for this case, but don't think its
worthwhile since its not the purpose of this tool.
- If you want to select an edge, use edge-select mode rather then loop select.
- If selection flushing with verts is causing odd selections, use edge
select mode.