[Bf-committers] GSOC 2013 [Roman Karpov]

Карпов Роман swoo2n at gmail.com
Wed May 1 19:00:26 CEST 2013

Hi,
My name is Roman Karpov and I'm 21 year old student from Novosibirsk,
Russia. I'm studying programming in my last year at Siberian State
University of Telecommunications and Computer Science.
I want to participate in the development of the Blender during this summer.
I want to improve Cycles performance. I would like to implement SIMD for
BVH/triangle intersection. Also, after examining the source code, I found
that QBVH not fully implemented and I would like to work on it, but I found
on the Cycles wiki page
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:2.6/Source/Render/Cycles/BVH link to
the paper "Faster Incoherent Rays: Multi-BVH Ray Stream
Tracing<http://www.eng.uwaterloo.ca/%7Ejtsakok/mbvhrs.pdf>"
(MBVH RS). Described in this paper method should be faster that QBVH (it
uses idea from QBVH to use more than 2 children for node ). But it is more
complex to implement.
I wonder, this is good enough idea for GSOC project?

Thanks for answers.