[Bf-committers] Slash Brushes for blender sculpting proposal

Sean Olson seanolson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 22:52:22 CEST 2013

Nicholas Bishop is the sculpt maintainer, and Jason Wilkens built a lot of
the brushes and brush code if I recall correctly.  I agree that we need a
"detailing" default brush ala the famous "dam standard" brush and this is
pretty close, but I don't know how Nicholas and Jason would feel about
including a texture based brush off of default.  I would venture to say
that dam standard is the 2nd most used brush in sculpting workflows after
the clay tubes brush (and smooth of course).

I do recall Jason saying that he built the "tools" and it was up to the
artists to come up with good defaults so they may bite, but they may also
want to do something a bit more versatile and code based brush for
detailing.  (For those unfamiliar with dam standard, we are talking a brush
for etching grooves quickly into the surface.   This is very important for
playing with surface details of the model and quickly cutting forms into
larger structures.

The current default workflow is tedious at best for cutting detail into
models, and usually requires a combination of multiple brushes, (Cut groove
with standard or crease-> then pinch-> then smooth ends.  In short, I hope
either this solution or a code based one makes it into trunk, but I'd like
to emphasize that there does exist a gap here, perhaps not in
functionality, but in workflow)

-Sean