[Bf-committers] BCon3 deadline approaching - status offreestyle?

Tamito KAJIYAMA rd6t-kjym at asahi-net.or.jp
Sun Mar 31 14:00:06 CEST 2013

Hi Campbell,

I have updated the implementation of CustomData-based edge/face marks
so as to use edge/poly CD_ORIGINDEX layers instead of adding Freestyle
specific changes to modifiers.  Please take a look at the branch revision
55683.

To get the new implementation working, modifiers seem to need revisions,
since some of the modifiers just leave the CD_ORIGINDEX layers unset (i.e.,
all index entries are zeros).  As pilot cases the Mirror and Solidify modifiers
have been updated as required.  Note that the changes in the modifiers
are general and not specific to Freestyle.

Some Freestyle-specific code is in DerivedMesh.c, which seems unnecessary
but I was not able to sort it out.  Hints and advice in this regard would be
of great help.

I think the use of text blocks to store Freestyle scripts is a good idea and
quite acceptable.  This change seems much less problematic than it appears.
Most branch users rely on the new GUI these days.  The scripting mode is
less used than the past where Python scripting was the only means for
user-defined line stylization.

This change will break old .blend files for sure.  But for the above reason
I don't expect much complains, even if no backward compatibility is given.

I fully agree that this kind of changes should not happen many times.
The coming trunk merger is the best opportunity to address the absolute
path issue.

I will try to stay in the #blendercoders channel as much as possible in the
following days.  Any discussion and help for coding would be appreciated.

Thanks,

--
KAJIYAMA, Tamito <rd6t-kjym at asahi-net.or.jp>