[Bf-committers] Particle system / Material choice / implementation of do_versions : problem with preview.blend

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Sat Mar 30 19:18:37 CET 2013

Hi Julien,

The system as it is now, uses materials from the Object or Mesh itself. This has its specific benefits and limits, but for me its not clear what replacing it with a direct linkage to a particle system would improve.

The only use case I can think of is when a user decides to link a particle system to other objects in a scene, and allow this way q shared material for particles.

Such a feature you could also code without changing the existing spec. Just add a material linkage option in the particle system, and make sure that choice (if set) overrides the index setting.

That way no versioning is needed, and old files would read/write in a way that still works in current and previous releases.

-Ton-