[Bf-committers] i18n maintenance is on hold

Thomas Dinges blender at dingto.org
Fri Mar 29 00:13:02 CET 2013

An alternative and also the real solution for the problem would be to
get rid of all (well most of, a few exceptions are fine) custom text
labels. This would eliminate the need for a lot of custom i18 code in
the py UI files.
All those text="" custom strings should be backported to RNA/Operators.
Either by replacing the current UI string in RNA (difficult, as a
property can be used in different contexts / UI places) or add a third
parameter to RNA_def_property_ui_text, like some short_text field or so.

I know that we discussed such solutions in the past, I can't remember
what the arguments against those were. If someone knows a better
solution, please tell.
I would be willing to work on backporting the custom strings, but we
need a good working solution here first.

Best regards,
Thomas