[Bf-committers] Using C++11 features in Blender source code?

Aurel W. aurel.w at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 21:25:41 CET 2013

Hi,

from a personal experience, mixing in new C++11 features into
existing, old C++ code is not really a problem. The benefits you gain
are way more important than the tiny bits of inconsistency you
encounter during this process.

Using modern C++, anything that goes, should be highly encouraged. Not
just some features, full C++11 and upcoming standards, boost,...
Someone who uses bad, old style C++/C these days is basically doomed.

Compiler support for C++11 is very good at this point, with MSVC still
lacking a little bit behind, but not significantly. I would highly
recommend switching to the latest MSVC version.

aurel