[Bf-committers] Stereoscopy Implementation Proposal

Torsten Mohr tmohr at s.netic.de
Wed Mar 27 17:25:29 CET 2013

Hi,

i think it would be great to support 3D rendering and also 3D Viewport /
Editing in Blender.  I guess these are two separate issues and can be
separated.

Regarding 3D rendering:
To support 3D directly would be great, but i'd like to propose a different
approach:
- Several cameras in a scene could be set "Active" and all these active
cameras would render an image.
- In Compositing, the output of all these cameras would be available and could
be composed to form an output image.
- The final output images dimensions would need to be independent of the
cameras dimensions.
- The UV / Image Editor would need additional options on how to interpret the
created image.

Consequences of the approach:
- For a 3D rendered image, two cameras could be placed in a scene, set active,
maybe grouped together.
- also Picture-in-Picture Views would be possible, Overview of an image plus
Detail view, ...
- the 3D output format would be easily to create in the Compositor:
- Red-Cyan, Red-Green, Amber-Blue, ... would be possible by mixing the colors
of the two images
- Side-by-Side, Top-Bottom would be possible by translating one image and
overlaying it with the other image.

Regarding 3D Viewport support:
- several output formats would need to be supported:
- Red-Cyan, Red-Green, Amber-Blue, ...
- Shutter glasses like NVidia
- odd-even polarized lines (I own one of those)

I hope i described the proposal clearly, what do you think of this?

I'm not a blender developer, though i already browsed through the sources to
see how to best implement 3D rendering.

Best regards
Torsten