[Bf-committers] Regex support in the text editor for advanced find and replace

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 03:47:55 CET 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 5:55 AM, Ricardo Lovelace <iklsr at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has there ever been an effort or a consideration of adding some Regex support to the text editor for 'advanced' find and or replace. I think this could be useful in the long run for obvious reasons.

Its come up before that we don't have regex in outliner search
http://markmail.org/message/sz7i7bq57gtn3b26

IMHO this is more a feature for a full featured programmers text editor.

Of course this would be useful to some - but IMHO doesn't warrant
adding a dependency on LibPCRE (or other regex libs),
It could be implemented as a python operator and use pythons regex
without adding new dependencies but this would be tricky to integrate
with existing find.

Personally I'm not keen to have blenders text editor become something
as big as vim/scite/emacs/notepad++/geany etc...
Although if the text-editors Python-API was improved we could have
more features like this without the burden on maintaining so much C
source.

--
- Campbell