[Bf-committers] Lack of license docs for external libs and fonts

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 04:08:56 CET 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 5:27 AM, IRIE Shinsuke <irieshinsuke at yahoo.co.jp> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently, Blender's release archives include license documents only
> for Blender(GPLv2) and Python, while any license docs for external
> libraries and fonts such as Bullet physics are not included.  I think
> that violates the software licenses and the copyrights.
>
> The release archives should include a directory like "licenses" which
> contains the license docs for the external libs/fonts.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> IRIE Shinsuke

As well as there being external projects who's licenses we might miss,
there are functions in files which are copied from other open-source
projects.
The ones I'm aware of have comments above the function stating its
origin, but there isn't a good way to get an overview on who owns this
copyright across many files.

How about use the debian copyright format? (human and machine readable).

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/dreq.en.html#copyright
http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/copyright-format/1.0/