[Bf-committers] Google Summer of Code 2013

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Mar 19 14:15:50 CET 2013

Hi all,

It's the time of the year again! GSoC 2013 starts soon.
Here are important dates to mark in calendars:

April 8: Google announces if we're accepted as Mentor organization.
April 22: Students can start applications
May 3: Student application deadline
May 27: Google announces accepted students
June 17: GSoC official start
August 2: Midterm evaluation deadline
Sept 23: Pencils down
Sept 27: Final evaluation deadline

Note that the program runs longer than previously, with a lot of time for us to review student proposals, and a 3 month period for students to work.

Work for the active devs during the next weeks is to fill in project proposals for the Ideas page. This is not for feature requests! We should stick to well defined acceptable targets for which we know a developer/mentor can be found.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/GoogleSummerOfCode/2013/Ideas

For GSoC 2013 I would like to introduce a special focus: we could organize a stronger connection between the stakholders (users) and students/mentors. Speficially I'd like to invite teams/studios to think of useful targets, to define projects they really need (and will use), and to get involved as artist-buddies for the students.

Discussions can be here and in irc as usual. Early april a 'mentors' mailing list will be opened as well, for developers and reviewers of student applications.

Laters,

-Ton-