[Bf-committers] Compositing output while editing

Jeroen Bakker j.bakker at atmind.nl
Sun Mar 10 12:30:55 CET 2013

On 03/09/2013 02:58 PM, Sergey Sharybin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Noticed that currently compositor output node will be fully recalculated
> every time you're editing compositor node tree. This adds quite enough of
> CPU consumption and only benefit from this is having Render Result image
> up-to-date.
>
> Is it something indeed expected by artists? From what i've noticed during
> Mango and some post-mango artists feedback -- they're usually disconnecting
> compo output node to make compositing faster. But this often leads to
> troubles when you forget to connect node back, send 12hrs shot to the farm
> and.. Well, nothing fun out of this.
>
> So, the question is: is it even helpful to have Render Result updating
> every time you're editing the tree? And if so, what about:
>
> - Making it a compositor option to ignore compo output while editing
> - Making it possible to mute compo output node, which will mean it's
> ignored while editing (but not while rendering)

Hi Sergey,

initially the tile-system made the difference between editing and
rendering. During editing Viewer nodes and Previews were calculated.
During Rendering only the composite node.
It came to our attention that there are 2 ways to use the compositor.
One is using the backdrop viewernode, and the other uses the image/UV
space to display a viewer or the final composite.
IMO most users use the backdrop, but we got bug reports from people who
uses the image/UV space.
For example #31816

We currently support both ways of working in a single system and that
can be very time-consuming. I think that we should start a discussion
what the workflow(s) should be, in stead of adding numerous options for
users to turn on/off specific features. Like the hide preview button is
related to this topic.

Best Regards,
Monique & Jeroen
  - At Mind -