[Bf-committers] Compositing output while editing

Lukas Tönne lukas.toenne at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 17:03:35 CET 2013

After some discussion on IRC i made a quick simple patch to avoid full
composite recalc after each node edit:

http://www.pasteall.org/40351/diff

Without this all potential output nodes are enabled both in preview
and full composite executions. The patch separates this, doing preview
and viewer calculation only on preview runs (i.e. automatic updates
after tweaking nodes) while composite output and file output nodes
only run on full composite executions (pressing F12). It already seems
to improve editing quite a bit, only issue it seems is that the
previous render result and previews are discarded in both cases,
leaving either one un-calculated after updating the other (F12 ->
previews get lost, node edit -> render result gets lost).

Some other possible improvements discussed:

1) Restriced and/or scaled viewer image: Sergey has already been
working on a composite border feature AFAIK, for reducing the amount
of work done in viewer updates

2) Re-use buffers calculated by viewers and composite output
respectively. This will require a working cache system so the buffers
don't get lost each time between updates. I posted a prerequisite
patch a while ago, this should allow the compositor cache to further
reduce executions to outdated parts:
http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2013-January/039013.html

3) Allow recomposite without requiring full render every time (as
happens on F12). I think the current solution involves making a
"compositing scene" with no mesh data and only a compositing setup
using images, but that's a bit of a workaround it seems. It shouldn't
be hard to make an operator that only executes the compositor without
rendering (the opposite, render without composite, can be done simply
by disabling Compositing in Post Processing panel). There might even
be a feature for this i don't know about, since Sebastian said it
existed in 2.49 ...