[Bf-committers] Cannot the international font be removed from SVN?

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 16:37:02 CET 2013

There was a patch for at least Alt Linux which uses fontconfig to select
font from fonts installed to system.

I don't consider it's fully finished because name of font is still
hardcoded in that patch, but we'll need to make font name configurable or
make it possible to choose it from list.

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM, Brecht Van Lommel <
brechtvanlommel at pandora.be> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM, IRIE Shinsuke <irieshinsuke at yahoo.co.jp>
> wrote:
> > If we solve these issues by adding the fonts (4)-(6) above, file
> > sizes of the release archives increase by 5-10MB.  Maybe Linux distro
> > maintainers hate such bundled fonts because they must remove the
> > fonts and apply some patches to build distro packages.
> >
> > I think the the international font should be removed and system-wide
> > fonts should be used instead.
>
> I think it would be good to use system fonts for the user interface,
> but that needs to be implemented for all operating systems then. Once
> that works, maybe we should still keep the font for render
> compatibility of text objects, or for users that prefer the UI to be
> exactly the same on different operating systems. I don't know how
> important those things are and I guess we can have that discussion,
> but we need people to actually implement system font support for
> Linux/BSD, Windows, Mac, Android, ... before we can actually consider
> removing the fonts.
>
> Brecht.

With best regards, Sergey Sharybin