[Bf-committers] Cannot the international font be removed from SVN?

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri Mar 1 16:27:38 CET 2013

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 2:50 PM, IRIE Shinsuke <irieshinsuke at yahoo.co.jp> wrote:
> If we solve these issues by adding the fonts (4)-(6) above, file
> sizes of the release archives increase by 5-10MB.  Maybe Linux distro
> maintainers hate such bundled fonts because they must remove the
> fonts and apply some patches to build distro packages.
>
> I think the the international font should be removed and system-wide
> fonts should be used instead.

I think it would be good to use system fonts for the user interface,
but that needs to be implemented for all operating systems then. Once
that works, maybe we should still keep the font for render
compatibility of text objects, or for users that prefer the UI to be
exactly the same on different operating systems. I don't know how
important those things are and I guess we can have that discussion,
but we need people to actually implement system font support for
Linux/BSD, Windows, Mac, Android, ... before we can actually consider
removing the fonts.

Brecht.