[Bf-committers] Feature request: Material "Viewport Output" Node

Vicente vicentecarro at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 00:49:51 CET 2013

Hi,

I want to propose a new feature: The Material "Viewport Output" Node.
Sometimes the realtime display(in the 3D View) of a material has nothing
to do with the final rendered material (i.e. using some kind of
textures). In those cases could be ideal to count with a new node
(Called "Viewport Output") so you could create a single material with 2
different outputs, one for the render and one for the viewport.

In my case I use Freestyle for the outlining of my models. It's
impossible to use Freestyle in real time in the 3D viewport so I have 2
options, don't see the outlining in the viewport or create a fake black
border using the normal node of the material so I can see it in real
time but then I have to deactivate it each time I want to do a render.
So the new "Viewport Output" node would be great.

I'm thinking also in somekind of LOD applied only to the viewport
display and not the render result. I guess there are a lot of
applications for this feature.

I hope this could be of help for more people.

Best Regards,

Vicente