[Bf-committers] Blender roadmap article on code blog

David Jeske davidj at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 16:52:47 CEST 2013

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 12:17 AM, Jürgen Herrmann <shadowrom at me.com> wrote:

> I am confused. What takes you so long to get stuff to build?

Mostly because when unfamiliar with the tools and blender build, each small
mistake caused a 15-20 minute build cycle on my laptop.. the time added up
fast. If I was setting it up *again* on MacOS I think it would only take me
30-40 minutes like for you.

Here are some details..

1. I made the mistake of configuring the build flags like the instructions
said. Turning on a couple "standard" blender features which are not on in
the default build, like ffmpeg, which then caused build problems, perhaps
because they require additional installs. This cost time mucking with
CMake, clean, re-building. I think this was probably 30-40 minutes.

2. I am unfamiliar with the toolchain (XCode). There is an instruction to
switch the build target from "all" to "install". I'm very unfamiliar with
the XCode UI, so the action I took was not the correct way to switch the
build-target. (IMO the XCode UI is very unintuitive here) There is even a
screenshot in the wiki-page, but my newer XCode looks newer, and I didn't
understand what the screenshot was saying. I built and cleaned all-build
several times trying to understand why it wouldn't launch.. until I finally
realized I wasn't building the "install" target correctly. Probably 70-90
minutes of scratching my head, repeated clean/rebuilding.

3. After it built and ran, it took me quite a while to find the
debug-launch "blender" target in the XCode UI.. because instead of being
near the "all_build" and "install" targets, it's near the bottom of a
build-targets popup menu with ~200 things in it -- requiring hunting and
scrolling down to find it.

I'm going to update the wiki instructions page slightly to help make these
steps more clear for someone unfamiliar with XCode.

On a related note, a friend of mine is still fighting the windows build
because it's having some issue colliding with the version of python he has
on his machine for Google App Engine development.