[Bf-committers] Blender roadmap article on code blog

Jed jedfrechette at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 23:37:16 CEST 2013

Campbell Barton wrote
> theres not much incentive to
> rewrite - only for the sake of cleaner code.

I totally understand and wouldn't argue they should be, never touch a
working system and all that. Having the "TODO make pep 8 compliant" comment
in the header is also a good hint that they are perhaps not the best
inspiration for new code.

Campbell Barton wrote
> Afraid every time I try do something non-trivial in someone else's
> open-source project (non-blender), its pretty steep learning curve
> too, getting from some template/example code to something useful is
> just tricky and theres so much assumed knowledge about how components
> work together, what kind of patterns your expected to use etc...
>
> ...clip...
>
> For functions local to a file they often aren't commented much. I can
> see why you might like comments here but I would leave this up to the
> author of each script to choose how much to comment internal
> functions, classes etc - rather then defining a policy

As you note, one of the hardest parts of getting your head around a complex,
unfamiliar, code base is figuring out all the unstated assumptions about
component interactions and design patterns. The only way I can do that is by
diving in to the existing production code. Having the API documented is
great but it is no substitute for being able to see how people intimately
familiar with it are using it. Sure I can work out what is going on by
reading the code, but having consumer functions that are using the API well
document goes a long way towards flattening out the learning curve.

David Jeske wrote
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Knapp <

> magick.crow@

> > wrote:
> I think it would be nice to see a typed scripting option

How about Python Traits? Note I have no idea how difficult it would be to
use Traits as a wrapper for Blender's API, although Enthought does provide a
Traits based wrapper for VTK so I'm sure it would be possible.