[Bf-committers] Blender roadmap article on code blog

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 07:47:13 CEST 2013

eeh, there is some misinformation here...

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 7:54 AM, David Jeske <davidj at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> > Yes, there is a performance cost for Mono/V8 relative to C, but for many
>> > types of code that gap is quite small, about 1-3x
>>
>> Speaking only as an artist:
>>
>> LOL!!!!
>>
>> I dare you to go to BlenderArtist and tell them you have decided to
>> include 2 Microsoft programs in Blender that will slow down there
>> render times by 300%!

Mono follows an MS spec for the language runtime (CLR), not sure what
the second program you refer to is.
At least the technology isn't owned by MS and its open-source.

People may be wary of using MS derived technology but from what I can
tell Mono wouldn't tie us to MS any more then Java would to Oracle.

> A language used for UI extension and tools does not affect render-times.
> OSL is already the way to user-extend cycles and that is not part of the
> discussion.
>
> Python is allowed for 2d compositing nodes now. Using C# or TypeScript/V8
> for these nodes would speed them up 3-10x. However, don't get too excited,
> because a single composite node, even in Python, is probably only 2-20% of
> the total composite time and only 0.1-0.5% of total render time if there is
> a 3d scene.

PyNodes don't allow python to be used for blenders existing C++ compositor,
See:
http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/553/is-it-possible-to-create-a-compositor-node-with-pynodes-that-outputs-camera-clip

However there has been some talk of using OSL for compositor nodes,
apparently it could be supported but I dont know details here.