[Bf-committers] render percentage and compositor behavior?

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 20:17:44 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 10:50 PM, David Jeske <davidj at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can we agree that the preview appearance should always match the final
> appearance? This is not currently true.

Well, kind of yes. At least in case viewer is connected to the same node as
Composite Output. In other cases you still could want to see original image.

> As for how to fix this... Two options are:
>
> (a) Change the preview behavior to match today's "fixed resolution" final
> behavior..... Individual node previews will appear as if they are cropped
> to the current scene "render resolution", so they will appear the same as
> the "final".

Perhaps this is the way to go. Not un-arguable tho, as quickly mentioned
above.

> (b) Change the final behavior to match the "flexible resolution" preview
> behavior.... Individual node "final renders" will be done using strictly
> their input resolutions, ignoring render-resolution. "render resolution"
> will only affect the size of 3d RenderLayers sent into the composite, and
> (possibly) the final composite output size.

Don't actually agree this is a way to go. Such approach will completely
move final resolution out of user control.

Could see how changing compositor to such behavior would benefit in some
cases, but i've got doubt how actually common that cases are in real-life
scenarios. And i would really love to hear artists' opinion here.

> Well, [forcing all render-layers to the composite-scene-resolution] is how
> > render pipeline is designed to work atm, and it completely makes sense. I
> > could see how having different resolution could help in some cases, but
> in
> > general it'll be just asking for problems. Namely it'll be just PITA to
> > keep resolutions in sync in general
> >

> I think this could be easily accommodated by a (default set) option in the
> RenderLayer node to force the render in the current scene's resolution.

I'm not actually a fan of adding options. They would just make things more
confusing, artists would keep forgetting to enable/disable this option and
so on.. And even if this option is really needed, reasonable question to
ask here would be: what it's default value? And this just another thing
which couldn't be decided without having real-life artists feedback.

> Currently render-percentage and the compositor is very broken. It only
> "works" if you are only compositing 3d renders. If you add any video or
> image sources, the output is very very broken and requires manually
> adjusted scale nodes after every image/video source.

Percentage is another story, let's don't mix it into current question ok?
It's for sure something to be supported. There're some questions from
design POV to be answered, but mainly someone just need to implement that
feature. It was in my TODO, but when i met that questions i didn't find
good answer on them and currently busy with GSoC project. Someone else is
welcome to pick this project up.

--
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin