[Bf-committers] render percentage and compositor behavior?

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 10:44:37 CEST 2013

Hi,

> As for nodes output resolution, indeed almost any node is determing it's
> > resolution from a resolution of it's inputs (exception is input nodes).
>
> Currently Mix and Alpha Over determine their preview resolution from the
> first-input, but their render resolution from something else (I suspect the
> render-resolution, though it could be something else). This causes the
> preview not to match the rendered-output when the first input is larger
> than the render resolution.
>
> From your reply, it sounds like the preview behavior is correct, and the
> render behavior is wrong. Aka, that Mix and Alpha Over nodes should output
> in the resolution of their first input. Does that sound right? If so I'll
> file a simple bug/blend.

Well, yes and no :) Just preview outputs in the actual resolution of a
buffer in compositor. Composite output crops stuff to a render resolution.
And this behaves as it is intended and used to behave since forever i guess.

Technically speaking it's possible to make render result be the same as
composite, but that'd be a breakage of current things and here i could not
make any decisions. Would rather leave it to Ton to make such a decisions.

Also not sure why different scenes would be an issue -- you're not allowed
> > to render them with different resolutions when using them in compositor
> > setup anyway.
>
> That's surprising. Why is that? I expected to be able to pipe any size
> scene render into the compositor and translate it into place. Such as for
> titling renders in the corner without having to render the full-size frame
> of mostly black. (though I obviously havn't tried it!)

Well, this is also how render pipeline is designed to work atm, and it
completely makes sense. I could see how having different resolution could
help in some cases, but in general it'll be just asking for problems.
Namely it'll be just PITA to keep resolutions in sync in general VFX: for
example you'll need to go over all the scenes o change render percentage.
That's not something artists will expect to do.

So this is all also matter of mostly used pipeline when working on movies
and so. It's possible to support more things or even change something, but
this also need to be well coordinated with artists and Ton..

--
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin