[Bf-committers] Blender roadmap article on code blog

Jed jedfrechette at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 02:58:14 CEST 2013

David Jeske wrote
> In short, I want to help more of the blender community turn into blender
> devs and debuggers.
>
> ...clip...
>
> Python isn't used for
> enough of blender, and the code which is there is very hard to read,
> understand, change because there are no types and there is no compile
> typechecking.

As someone with a fair bit of experience using Python for various things but
only the occasional need to write Blender scripts I agree about the existing
Python code being hard to read. However, the difficulties I've had have
never really been due to lack of types. Instead, wildly varying styles and
often little if any inline documentation have been the biggest issues for
me. Combine this with the fact that Python is a pretty thin wrapper around
the underlying structures, which I don't fully understand, and I'm usually
able to come up with something that works but I'm never quite sure if I've
done it the "right" way.

Personally, I would love to see all new Python code complying to Google's
Python Style Guide. In fairness, the new code I've looked at usually is
better, however, often I'm looking at IO addons and other tools that have
been around for awhile gathering cruft.

Oh yeah, the biggest problem: Blender's Python console isn't iPython. :-)