[Bf-committers] render percentage and compositor behavior?

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 10:36:22 CEST 2013

Hi,

Currently render percentage doesn't make affect on compositor and for now
it's up to artist to place scale to render size nodes for movie/image
inputs and scale factors like blur.

Ideally we need to make it happen automatically, so render percentage will
scale things nicely. I wanted to look into this during 4K ToS project, but
didn't happen to write final patch.. The reason of this is that i didn't
like patch too much -- there were some design limitations involved which i
didn't manage to solve yet. Maybe after discussion with Lukas or Jeroen
we'll end up with something nice here.

As for nodes output resolution, indeed almost any node is determing it's
resolution from a resolution of it's inputs (exception is input nodes). It
could be useful from compositing-only pipeline point of view having render
resolution matching compositor output resolution, but there're also an
usecases when current behavior is much better.
Also not sure why different scenes would be an issue -- you're not allowed
to render them with different resolutions when using them in compositor
setup anyway.
So eeh.. Do we really want/need to change way how render resolution affects
on things here?

And as for the last question. Currently there's a crappy way to get
resolution of viewer: open Viewer Node image in Image Editor and it's
resolution would be print in N-panel. Some info node would nice too. That
way it'll be possible to know resolution, alpha mode and so on.. But it's
simply not implemented.

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM, David Jeske <davidj at gmail.com> wrote:

> oops, forgot the blend...
>
> http://www.pasteall.org/blend/22318