[Bf-committers] About the location of the Operator panel...

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 11:25:02 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Gaia <gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org> wrote:
> Hi, all;
>
> I asked myself:
>
> "Why does the operator panel appear in the tool shelf
>    although the operator has been called from the
>    properties sidebar ?"
>
> At least on a large display that can be really far far away :)
>
> I have an idea for the case where an operator is called by
> click on a button from within a Panel:  Add a panel option
> to specify where the operator panel shall show up:
>
> - Bottom of Tool Shelf (default)
> - Bottom of Properties sidebar
> - Bottom of current window (tool shelf or properties bar, ...)
> - Directly Below current panel (maybe not a good idea)
>
> If the operator was not called from within a panel, then
> fallback to defaults. Regardless of where it appears, the
> operator panel disappears when the next operator is called.
>
> Benefits:
>
> - Operator options can appear very near to where the
>    operator was called, thus get much more awareness
> - less moving around on large screens to change operator
>    options.
>
> Drawbacks:
>
> - operator panel no longer appears at one fixed location
>
> However letting the operator panel appear close to our
> current focus of work could possibly be more beneficial
> than relying on operator options to always appear in the
> lower left corner of the screen.
>
> What do you think about that ?
>
> -gaia-

If it functions like the F6 button then it needs to be made so you can
grab the header and move it and it remembers where it was. I know it
currently opens where the mouse is. It currently works but is a bit
annoying because it is always self closing.
--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!

Massage in Gelsenkirchen-Buer: