[Bf-committers] Multiview branch feedback

Adriano Oliveira adriano.ufrb at gmail.com
Mon Jun 17 14:51:37 CEST 2013

Hi Brecht,

> But can you explain to me specifically why that is better than the
workflow used in the branch?

Because it is more simple and better fits in actual Blender logic. It is
also the way everey other composite sistem works, as far as I know.

> But why? How is this different from the RenderLayer/RenderPass
distinction we have already?

The current SELECT VIEW approach in Image Editor is leading to limitations
and changing too much in Blender UI and Node Editor.

• Select View is not necessary because we already have Select Pass and L/R
views are simply new kind of passes.
• Select View "3-D" offers a fancy fast-composition that is independent
from Node Editor, so it turns Image Editor inconsistent with composition.
• Implementing Select View is a danger, because it changes a lot in Node
Editor output logic, without offering as much.
• Treating L/R as passes is just enough. We add new possibilities and don't
chage a lot what is already working.
• Obtaining Image Editor stereo outputs through composition nodes is just
enough and safer.
• To keep node editor compatible with new EXR capabilities we just need a
Nuke like merge channel node, so we can re-insert decomposed layers and
output them to a single file. This is useful beyond stereo.
• STEREO PREVIEW option in 3D View is ok. We don't need stereo options in
user preferences, as long as automated preview would only affect 3D View,
and Node Editor affects Image Editor.

Let's just not add to Node Editor/Image Editor  things that leads to
different and untested workflows that we don't miss.

This is a very nice discussion!

:D

Adriano