[Bf-committers] Blender roadmap article on code blog

Benjamin Tolputt btolputt at internode.on.net
Mon Jun 17 13:26:35 CEST 2013

On 17/06/2013, at 8:22 PM, Angus Hollands wrote:

> need to be addressed. Firstly, the animation tools are perfectly functional
> in both Blender and BGE, unless you could clarify.

Blender does not have Animation Blend Trees nor does it have Animation State Machines. Like many things, you can hack a basic one together using Python with some effort, but the Blender Game Engine does not have them out of the box. I was quite specific about what was missing (and present in Unity) and I checked again before posting.

> The multiplayer aspect is true, and something that I am working on, and
> considering that unity itself requires scripting to use the multiplayer
> system, one may argue that we too have multiplayer by that standard.

Sorry, but there is a *big* difference between being able to send messages over the network (Python) and being able to just toggle on game object state synchronisation (Unity). There is more to claiming multiplayer support than having a TCP/IP pipe available. Just as there is more to having built-in Animation State Machine support than just a Turing complete scripting language.

I'm not trying to belittle the BGE, but I'm not speaking out of ignorance either.

--
Benjamin Tolputt